Jehangirji Chinoy was an Entrepreneur, an Industrialist and a philanthropist, but above all a visionary.
During the rule of Mehboob Ali Pasha, industrialization was concentrated in a few areas mostly around Hyderabad, the capital city. Jehangirji ventured into the hinterland and in the area around a village called Bhainsa, in the Nizams dominions, he saw the potential for the growth of cotton. He encouraged the locals to grow the crop and thus introduced the crop into what was until then, a backward area. Once the crop was established the need for Ginning and Pressing arose and Jehangirji set about establishing the facility. It took him about 4 years to transport the machinery and set up the factory. He later established factories in Palsi, Chondi and Dharmabad, bringing prosperity to those regions. The company he established was named after his younger brother Darabji who had passed away at the young age of 29.
Having established a thriving enterprise, Jehangirji concentrated his energies to philanthropy. In January 1919 he established a charitable dispensary in memory of his mother, Bai Rattanbai Jamshedji Chinoy. The dispensary provided medical services to the needy, free of cost. For the Parsi community he built the Jamshedji Chinoy Hall and the Edulji Chinoy pavilion, within the precincts of the Dharamsala. This was a much needed requirement of the community. Even to this day Navjote ceremonies, Weddings and other functions are conducted here. The facilities are available to all members of the community at extremely reasonable rates. And last but certainly not least he established, also in January 1919 a Parsi school for imparting quality education to Parsi children which he named after his wife Bai Ratanbai Jehangirji Chinoy. He donated funds to form trusts to help poor from the community for religious ceremonies and importantly for education.
Today, a hundred years later, we honour the memory of a great man whose compassion and vision has touched the lives of millions of people.
Learn About Us
‘Education is the wise, hopeful and respectful cultivation of learning undertaken in the belief that all should have the change to share in life’ The Moto of the Parsi School is “ TRUTH, LABOUR, SERVICE”
Parsi Philanthropy has been predominant in two areas – Education and Healthcare. These two are essential components of a happy, healthy and purposeful society.
In the early 1900s, members of the affluent Chenoy family of Secunderabad understood that wealth created is meaningfully utilized for the betterment of society, and they set up various institutions that would serve their fellow community members. Seth Eduljee Chenai helped establish the Chenai Parsi Fire Temple and the Dharamsala and set up many other charities. Amongst his illustrious grandsons was the unassuming, kind and generous – hearted Jehangirji Jamshedji Chenai, who believed that ‘education’ would provide a chance to all to share the fruits of a good life and that would be the key to the future success of the community. So, in memory of his wife, he established the Bai Ratanbai Jehangirji Parsi Elementary School on Roj Khorshed, Mah Amardad, Y.Z. 1288 (January,19, 1919). Even in those early times, Jehangirji had realized the value of ‘girls’ education’ and the school provided for an inclusive education in a co-educational environment.
For more than five decades the BRJC Parsi School remained the first schooling option for Parsi families of the twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad, which at the time were a part of the Nizam’s domain. The curriculum provided for a healthy mix of religious learning along with subjects like History, Geography, Economics, Logic and the Languages –English, Gujarati and Urdu. In 1933 the school upgraded to a Middle School and in 1974/75 it gained recognition as a High School affiliated to the State Board of Secondary Education, Andhra Pradesh.
During the early years of the school, with Faramroze Hirji Khurshed as the Head Master from 1919 -1952, the emphasis was on discipline, a sound foundation of religious and cultural education, coupled with modern learning. Most of the staff comprised lady teachers with the known exceptions being Mehtaji who taught mathematics and Gujarati and Shamsuddin Saheb who taught Urdu. The school put up annual plays (nataks) that were musicals based on stories from the shahnameh and scripted and composed by the HM. Parsi Seths and their families, community members and parents of the students were invited to these treats only to leave at the end of the evening with emotions running high and hearts chastened.
Even in those days, excursions to various cities in India formed a part of the curriculum, because it was believed that travelling complemented education.
Board oF Trustees
I have great pleasure in addressing this message to you, our extended family of all the students of the B. R. J. C. Parsi School and their parents. A special welcome to the new students.
This year promises to be another exciting one. We are proud of our heritage and what our alumni and faculty have been able to contribute over the last 100 years. We are also excited about what the future holds.
I hope all of you are relaxed, recharged and ready to start the new year. Our skilled and devoted staff is already planning & preparing for the new academic year. Their endeavour is to ensure that your child gets a complete education – their goal is to inspire students to open and expand their minds. A good education skillfully prepares young children for life. Excellence is the result of always striving to do better
Our goal is to focus on the holistic development of each child, and to give them a competitive edge with the help of an extensive curriculum and dynamic teaching methodologies.
119, Parklane, Secunderabad-500003, Hyderabad, Telangana - INDIA